If you are new to "The Blogrolls," please read HEREHERE before exploring the site.

Search This Blog

Followers

Spices - Cinnamon


leaves of a wild cinnamon tree

The fragrant smell and taste of cinnamon is undeniably one of my favorite spices. When the holidays roll around, it is one of the most widely used as well with a proported15.5 million ounces of cinnamon are purchased in U.S. grocery stores.

cinnamon bark

Points of Interest:

The main importer of true cinnamon is Mexico and is used in the preparation of chocolate.

Cinnamon is high in antioxidant activity.

Cinnamon has been reported to have remarkable pharmacological effects in the treatment of Type 2 diabetes mellitus and insulin resistance. I wonder if this means I can eat as much apple pie as I want to eat.

apple pie

It has also been used to treat diarrhea and other problems of the digestive system.

It is also said that a mixture of cinnamon combined with honey will make an effective recipe to aid in weight loss. That sounds like my type of weight loss plan!

ground cinnamon

Cinnamon grows in the tropical highlands of Sri Lanka, Vietnam, China, and Indonesia. Cinnamon quills are hand-harvested by farmers in Indonesia, the largest producer of cinnamon in the world.

When added to food, it inhibits bacterial growth and food spoilage, making it a natural food preservative.

Cinnamon should be stored in a tightly sealed glass container in a cool, dark and dry place.

cinnamon roll

Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.





3 comments:

jenie said...

i love cinnamon rolls...super yummmmmmmmm ;)

yes, i wish to be added in your blog roll, can you? my Earthy Me please? ;) thanks.

Lorie said...

Oh! I need to make cinnamon rolls for my neighbors this week!!

I CANNOT wait for my house to smell like the yummy goodness of cinnamon and brown sugar!!

Jean at The Delightful Repast said...

I don't know if it's true, but my nephew told me that a teaspoon of cinnamon per day is supposed to lower cholesterol levels. But, of course, that wouldn't be a teaspoon of cinnamon in a buttery cinnamon roll!

Related Posts with Thumbnails