If you are new to "The Blogrolls," please read HEREHERE before exploring the site.

Search This Blog

Followers

Recipe: Old Fashioned Taffy


I remember the first time I made salt water taffy with mother. My sister and I complained constantly that it was "burning our hands" as we were pulling it. Although we complained, we didn't want to stop!

In contrast, I also remember making taffy with my daughter and niece. Neither of them complained about anything! I guess each generation improves on the last. They just couldn't wait to get their hands in the goo and were happy to pull and pull until it was finished. I can still remember their little fingers twisting the wax paper around each piece.

Salt water taffy began about one hundred years ago in the 1920's. Although it was a favorite in the 1950's, it is still popular today. The original pulling method was to throw and pull it over hooks. The third video below shows this method.

This recipe is tried, tested and true. It has now lived through three generations in my family and has helped fill our lives with wonderful memories. This is another recipe card from my families recipe boxes given to them last year. I also gave them food goodies which included the banana bread recipe in the previous post and this salt water taffy.

Teresa's Old Fashioned Taffy Recipe
Click Image to enlarge
for the recipe card


These videos are short and just TOO fun to watch!


This really is a perfect recipe to make with children, so I hope if you have any in your life that you will make a few taffy memories with them.

2 comments:

Puget Sound Prudence said...

Hi, I like your blog and have been looking for some new "foodie" ideas. Am visiting from MBC and am following you now. Check me out when you get a chance! http://pugetsoundprudence.blogspot.com/

Jean at The Delightful Repast said...

I'm not a huge candy fan, but I do enjoy a nostalgic piece (or 6) of old-fashioned taffy. It's one of those things I've always thought it would be fun to make but have never done it. If I do actually get around to it, I will use your mom's recipe and let you know how it turned out!

Related Posts with Thumbnails